10 Things I Like About Living With My Parents (Writing 101, Day 2)

At the moment, I’m living out the stereotype of the college graduate who moves back in with their parents.  It’s a temporary situation.  I’ve got a job at my family’s apple orchard through November and when that is over, I will find something else.

Living under the roof of my mom and dad has its challenges, but for the most part, it’s pretty rad.  Let me tell you why.

1)  I get to sleep in my childhood bedroom.

My childhood bedroom is awesome. Please excuse the mess.

2)  Our family’s resident indoor cat, Paco, is available for daily snuggles.

3)  All my books are here

It was torture deciding which books came to college with me.  Studying abroad was even worse because my personal library was abandoned completely in favor of a more travel-friendly Kindle.  Now that my books and I are residing under the same roof, we’re always together.  Even though I can only read one or two or three at a time, it’s comforting, having them near.

4) There are lots of cozy couches and armchairs to read in

Living on my own, I had to go to the library for comfy reading chairs.  Now they’re accessible 24/7!

5)  Most of my meals are homemade and unpaid for

I’m not the world’s worst cook, but I’m also not as good as my mom.

6)  I don’t have to pay rent

Which means that all my income goes towards paying off my student loans!

7) Work is a minute away, so no commute

8) There’s a TV here so I can actually watch movies on something other than my small computer screen

My mom recently purchased all five seasons of Downton Abbey.  I feel a marathon coming on…

9) My parents watch the news daily, so it’s easy to stay on top of current events.

Staying on top of what’s going on in the world is hard.  There is always so much going on from the local to global scale that, if you don’t actively pursue information on, you’re left behind.  Slowly, I’m developing a newspaper reading habit, which makes me feel more on top of things.

10)  I love my home.

Home has always been a special, sacred place.  In high school, staying in on a Friday night while everyone else was out was never irksome.  In college, home was a refuge where I could escape the stress of my classes.  My parents and I have always had great, healthy relationships.  I have loved spending extended quality time with my family over the past few months.

As I said before, I don’t want to live here forever.  The desire to spread my wings is budding.  But this season is special.  Life isn’t always going to be like this.  I’m growing up and things are changing.  Someday, I will look back and home as I now know it will be nothing more than a memory.  I am determined to soak it in and enjoy it while it lasts.

This post is inspired by an assignment for the Blogging University class Writing 101: Finding Everyday Inspiration.

8 thoughts on “10 Things I Like About Living With My Parents (Writing 101, Day 2)

1. Homesteadon4Dacres September 8, 2015 / 5:44 pm

It is nice to read that home is your refuge, as a parent you always hope your kids will think that way. Good luck with your career.

2. Meghan September 8, 2015 / 10:18 pm

I’m also living at home, and I *love* my old room! All my books are on their proper shelves, I can watch Netflix on a TV screen (although I don’t mind a computer screen).

Now I want to write about my 100+-year-old house. So many new blog ideas?! 🙂

Your post was well-written, Almelia! I enjoy the personal touch you put into your blog posts. 🙂

• Amelia September 8, 2015 / 10:53 pm

Thank you so much, Megan! Your compliment means a lot!:)
      Please do write about your house! I would love to read that post.

3. Aimee September 9, 2015 / 8:55 am

I’m in the same situation! (And we even have the same colour bedroom!)

It startled me a bit when you said “temporary situation” – I feel like living at home is permanent for me at the moment! I have no idea when or how I’ll afford to move out, and I’m far too comfortable and settled here. But I guess it is temporary… I should probably start considering that, a year after graduating… haha!

Lovely post, thanks for this 🙂

• Amelia September 9, 2015 / 9:24 am

I’m glad you liked it, Aimee! It’s such an odd thing, living at home again, but it’s a comfortable place to be. I recently had a friend who has been thinking about moving out of her parent’s house tell me, “It’s comfortable here and I have access to nice things that I wouldn’t get to have on my own. Why leave?”

• Aimee September 9, 2015 / 10:12 am

I know that feeling! Although, I do often dream about independence, like being able to do my own shopping, stocking my own fridge, hoovering my own carpet… weird little things, but as much as I don’t want to grow up, having my own place would be cool! But then again, at home there’s free food!