There is Always More to Learn (Writing 101, Day 5)

My younger brother recently turned twenty. On his birthday, we jokingly pointed out, “You’re not a teenager anymore, Sam. You no longer know anything.”

It’s amazing how age and study decrease your sense of importance.

Recently, I graduated from college and, if I learned anything in my four years at the University of Minnesota, Morris, it was that I am incredibly small. There is so much, no, too much to know. Even in my area of study, literature and writing, I feel like I know nothing.

If I decided to get a doctorate in literature, accumulating deep knowledge of texts and cultures from times gone by, it would take the majority of my twenties. Even then, my knowledge would be limited to a single subject—Victorian novels, Renaissance drama, Romantic poetry. I could study for years and years and barely scratch the surface… and that is in my field!

There are so many avenues I wish I could have visited in college. If I could go back, I’d up my Communication minor to a major and take as many rhetoric classes as possible. I’d insert a minor in Art History just because I love the subject. I’d delve into more History classes. I’d take another course in Gender, Women, Sexuality Studies, simply because the topic is culturally relevant and fascinating.

But college is over. Maybe I’ll go to graduate school someday, but that’s at least three years down the road.

Education truly is a gift. Through it, you learn how small you are. You learn that your point of view is one of millions. You learn to empathize with those who are different from you.

But academia is only one kind of knowledge. Now that I’m out of school, it’s time to pursue other studies—how to be a responsible adult, how to be good to my family, how to blog well, how to keep strong in my faith, how to take joy in every day. The biggest lesson is learning what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

The beauty of education is that it really never stops. Inside or out of the classroom, there is still so much to learn.

This post is inspired by an assignment for the Blogging University class Writing 101: Finding Everyday Inspiration.

6 thoughts on “There is Always More to Learn (Writing 101, Day 5)

1. brittabottle September 11, 2015 / 9:40 pm

It’s so easy forget that academia is only one type of knowledge when you’re in college and the world of academia is practically thrust down your throat. Being around all these people at work who know so much about the food industry and are so passionate about–it’s really humbling. I’ve learned so much in this job that I could have never learned in an academic setting.

I agree–there is ALWAYS more to learn. Learning doesn’t stop outside of a classroom setting and that’s not an outlook everyone has (so it’s good th

• brittabottle September 11, 2015 / 9:41 pm

Ah, crap, having problems typing on my new computer. Still haven’t gotten the hang of it yet. That was supposed to finish by saying, “So it’s good that we have it.”

2. Meghan September 12, 2015 / 12:40 am

I know this is a bit off topic, but I’m curious: What kind of computer did you get, Britta? 🙂 (I’m getting a new Macbook Pro on Monday, which is why I asked.)

Almelia, where do you find the Writing 101 prompts? I think I stopped following the main WP site a while ago and don’t remember how to find it.

Self discovery, especially in terms of learning, is fun and refreshing after college. I enjoyed most of my classes, but it’s nice to pick and choose what to read/write. I love that I can still learn new things even after completing my degree. 🙂 Congrats to Sam on his 20th Birthday, by the way!

• Amelia September 12, 2015 / 8:16 am

I signed up for the prompts through WordPress Blogging University. They hold different blogging classes every month. So, once you sign up for the class, they send you emails with the daily assignments. An easy way to join in, though, is to follow the Writing 101 tag on the WordPress dashboard. By looking at all the posts, you can usually figure out the prompt. Most people mention it in their posts, actually.

• Meghan September 12, 2015 / 11:34 am

Ooh. I will definitely do that, then. Thanks, Amelia!

3. mariaholm September 12, 2015 / 2:10 am

I chose the same tweet Amelia! I was looking back at my life and are looking ahead. We both love to learn. When travelling there are often guided walks on architecture or art or history so even holidays can be filled with new knowledge and then we can blog about it!