To a Rainy Day (Writing 101, Day 9)

Dear Rainy Day,

I’m in love with you. The thunder that presses against my windows send a shiver of pleasure down my spine. The pattering of raindrops makes me feel cozy and safe.

Yet… How am I supposed to get anything done with your constant pestering?

You inspire the desire to shirk all responsibility. I can’t stop thinking about you. I want to spend time with you, to stand in your downpour and get soaked to the skin. I want to soak you in.

I want to curl up in a sweater and leggings in a large chair and watch you transform the normally vibrant colors out the window to a mass of fuzzy grey. I want to drink tea and read poetry aloud, letting the cadence of the words rumble in time with your thunder.

Will you wait for me, Rainy Day? Will you linger until my work is done? Will you save up a whisper so, when I crawl in bed tonight, you can sing me to sleep?

All my love,

Amelia

photo-1417640712331-47f5ff77ce29

This post is inspired by an assignment for the Blogging University class Writing 101: Finding Everyday Inspiration.

For a similar post, check out my breakup letter to Virginia Woolf.

12 thoughts on “To a Rainy Day (Writing 101, Day 9)

1. MJ Robbana September 17, 2015 / 3:29 pm

I like this. It’s very cute and I like how you capture the feeling of intimacy of a rainy day.

• Amelia September 17, 2015 / 7:14 pm

Thanks! I’m glad you liked it!

2. ghostmmnc September 17, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Love your letter to the rain! I never get enough of rain, myself. It is hot and dry usually here in TX. Hope the rain waited for you! 🙂

• Amelia September 17, 2015 / 7:14 pm

Thank you! The rain did wait, I was so happy. 🙂 We got almost 4 inches in Minnesota today, so I will do my best to send some south for you!

• ghostmmnc September 17, 2015 / 7:37 pm

That’s wonderful that y’all got a good rain. We have a small chance tonight, but go ahead and send some down here. We’d appreciate it! 🙂

3. Crazy Colorful Turtle September 17, 2015 / 10:30 pm

I was intrigued by the first few lines while browsing through the Reader. It is a really interesting and inspiring post. For someone who loves the comforting warmth of the sum more, I can now understand the allure rain has for many. 😀

• Amelia September 18, 2015 / 7:45 am

Thanks so much for reading! I’m glad you enjoyed it! I love the sun too, but am glad to give you a glimpse into loving rain as well.:)

4. Tummeefei September 17, 2015 / 10:56 pm

you’re definitely a pluviophile.. coz I am. it takes one to know one 😛

• Amelia September 18, 2015 / 7:49 am

Confession: I had to look up what pluviophile meant. Now that I know, though, I can say… Rain lovers unite!!

• Tummeefei September 18, 2015 / 9:54 am