When I’m Not Writing, I’m Doing Something Useful (Writing 101, Day 11)

Someone once asked me why I didn’t have any useful hobbies.  I didn’t respond to the question.  It wasn’t worth my time.  In response, though, I have some questions of my own.

What is more useful than learning to see things from other people’s perspectives?  Reading does that.

What is more useful than creating something beautiful?  This happens every time I pick up a paintbrush.

Lately, I’ve spent a great deal of my free time writing.  I mean… what do you expect when your course is titled Writing 101?  But writing isn’t all I do.

I love books.  Those three words don’t even begin to describe my love for the written word.  I count myself among the world’s bibliophiles.  To read a book is akin to breathing.  As long as I can remember, I’ve been a reader.  Nothing has changed over the years.  College was awesome because it gave me an excuse to read all kinds of interesting books and get graded for it.  I used to be a one-book-at-a-time kind of girl.  Now I usually balance two or three at a time.  My bedroom has no less than six shelves–all full to the brim.  My “To-Read” list is endless.  In case you were wondering, right now I’m balancing a book of feminist essays, Love Does by Bob Geoff, and some fluffy YA fiction.

I also love art.  One of my favorite places during my semester in London was the National Gallery.  Whenever I had twenty minutes to kill, I’d duck in and spend time with Monet and Rembrandt.  But my love isn’t limited to viewing art.  I love creating it.  Like reading, I’ve been drawing as long as I can remember.  I got very serious about it when I was eleven and have been striving ever since.  A year ago, I picked up watercolors.  It’s been a blast learning the ins and outs of the new medium and combining it with my drawings.  My work isn’t high brow, art museum level.  It’s not even Art Major level.  But it doesn’t have to be.  I don’t make art to excel–I make art to fill me up.

Reading and painting bring me life.  They make me happy and they make others happy.  I love giving people hand-crafted art to put on their wall or hold their pages in a book.  What is more useful than touching the lives of the people you love?

This is just a sampling of some of the things I've painted recently.
This is just a sampling of some of the things I’ve painted recently.

This post is inspired by an assignment for the Blogging University class Writing 101: Finding Everyday Inspiration.

9 thoughts on “When I’m Not Writing, I’m Doing Something Useful (Writing 101, Day 11)

1. Melis September 21, 2015 / 5:42 pm

I always wished I was more artistic, those paintings are beautiful 🙂 x

• Amelia September 21, 2015 / 5:43 pm

Thank you so much, Melis!! 🙂

2. brittabottle September 21, 2015 / 10:32 pm

I do love your water colors, Amelia. They are so whimsical. I’m terrible at drawing and have always preferred expressing myself through writing (though I have also loved dabbling in photography of late). That said, I adore art in all forms and greatly admire artists. One of my favorite memories from my summer in D.C. last year was visiting the National Gallery of Art. I was practically drooling the whole time I was there (plus, it made me realize that I actually had learned something in the art history course I took freshman year. 🙂 )

• Amelia September 22, 2015 / 12:29 am

Thank you so much, Britta! I took Ren to Modern art history the semester before I went to Europe and it was one of the most useful classes ever once I hit the art galleries. I went to the National Gallery in D.C. the last time I was in the city, but I was with family and my brothers are bored by art. I only got to spend an hour there. 😦 Maybe next time!! But I know the one in London so well that I was able to give my mom a personal tour when she visited me. Gosh, I miss that place!

3. Tummeefei September 22, 2015 / 2:17 am

my guess, you also hoard books? i do! hahaha! then sometimes forget about it since there’s a lot of new good book being release every month! 🙂

• Amelia September 22, 2015 / 8:44 am

I do hoard books!! My room is piled with them and dad teases me for having the most flammable room in the house. I don’t get new books very often, but I get sooooo many at secondhand shops and then forget to read them because I’m reading something else. 🙂

• Tummeefei September 22, 2015 / 8:46 am

that’s so just like me!! hahaha!

4. Aziz Husain September 24, 2015 / 6:40 pm

It’s wonderful you’re pursuing what you want to! Reading books is fun and indeed brings us new perspectives. Also, your artwork is incredible as well. Hope you continue to inspire others to bring out their passions! 🙂

• Amelia September 24, 2015 / 7:28 pm