I Write Because I Refuse to Stop (Writing 101, Day 20)

Four weeks ago, I was asked an important question: Why do you write?  Unsure of how to respond, I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that I write because I always have and cannot seem to stop.

I’ve learned a few things about myself in the past few weeks.  I now realize that, at some point during college, I lost sight of my identity as a writer. It always seemed like my classmates were so much better than I was.  Compared to their eloquent prose and poetry, my words felt feeble, hollow, and lifeless.  But maybe that is because, all along, I wasn’t doing the right kind of writing.  I took creative writing classes, but I’m not a creative writer.  I’ve won essay contests, but I’m not an academic.  That’s not me.

This place, this blog, these posts… this is me.

So much time has been spent comparing myself with other writers that I’ve forgotten who I am.  Participating in Writing 101 has brought everything back.  My identity, ultimately, does not stream from my classmates, friends, and fellow bloggers.  It comes from myself.  It comes from the fact that there are words bubbling from deep within me, waiting to be released.  The words pester me.  They nag, pulling at the back of my mind.  I cannot keep silent.

At the beginning of Writing 101, I stated that I write because I cannot stop.  At the end, I find my answer has changed.

I write because I cannot stop; I write because I refuse to stop;  I write because this is who I am.

9 thoughts on “I Write Because I Refuse to Stop (Writing 101, Day 20)

• Amelia October 2, 2015 / 10:02 pm

Thank you! 🙂

1. Tummeefei October 2, 2015 / 11:48 pm

keep writing and enjoy 🙂

2. Rizzyright October 3, 2015 / 2:38 pm

Wow you finally found your self… Glad you did. Writing 101 has truly brought out the best in most of us if not all.

• Amelia October 3, 2015 / 5:28 pm

Thanks! Yeah, Writing 101 has been one of the best things to happen to me lately. I gotta hand it to WordPress and Blogging U. They do such a nice job!

• Rizzyright October 4, 2015 / 7:00 am

Yeah…me too, I’ve never thought of doing anything friction but I think friction ( I mean my thoughts are filled with a lot of stories ) and I never thought of writing them out but this course actually drew my attention to that part of me. Soon I’ll try it out. Watch out….

• Amelia October 4, 2015 / 10:00 am

I think in stories as well! I’ve actually got several novel-length stories in my head, but am probably never going to write them down. Best of luck as you step into fiction writing!! I’m sure it will be challenging, but very fun and rewarding.

• Rizzyright October 4, 2015 / 2:45 pm