Whimsy & Climbing Mountains

Some days, the future feels like a looming, messy mountain that I don’t know how to climb.  I’ve been in a period of transition for the past six months–suspended between one area of life and another.  There are so many roads, so many possibilities, and the constant pressure to know my route.  “What are you doing now that you’ve graduated college, Amelia?”  “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  “When are you going to have things figured out?”  I do my best to push aside the uncertainties, but some days it just eats at me.

Today, though, the future feels whimsical.  I don’t know where life will lead me.  I’m not planning it out.  My strategy is to take things one step at a time, starting with this day.   If I can figure out the now, I can cross the next bridge when I come to it.

This evening, my mom and I had some quality Mother/Daughter time.  We went shopping, saw a movie in theaters, and had dinner at a restaurant.  It was so much fun to get away from work and just soak in life.  The drive home brought deep conversations about life, faith, and the future.  Our talk got the gears turning in my mind, which lead me to writing this post.

Recently, I came across the following quote:

“Whimsy doesn’t care if you are the driver or the passenger; all that matters is that you are on your way.” Bob Goff, Love Does

There are a lot of great things happening in my life right now.  Tomorrow, I attend a board meeting that will solidify my first big girl/real adult job.  It’s not a full-time position, nor is it permanent.  It’s a a door that has opened unexpectedly–I didn’t apply for it…  It just sort of happened. But it’s perfect opportunity to gain professional skills and get me from one place to the next.

The future is still there and it is still very much unknown.  But right now, the mountain doesn’t seem so daunting.  From where I’m standing, the mountain is beautiful and I’m starting to see the path.  I can’t wait to lace up my boots and start climbing.

There are so many things I’m unsure of.  But I know one thing: I’m on my way.

Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset
I’m normally not a taker of selfies, but yesterday was so sunny and lovely I couldn’t help myself. (Also, it was a good hair day, which is rare.)

6 thoughts on “Whimsy & Climbing Mountains

1. treerabold October 13, 2015 / 7:33 am

How exciting to be so early in your journey. Enjoy every moment and each step!

• Amelia October 13, 2015 / 5:51 pm

Thank you so much!! I’m really looking forward to seeing the future unfold. 🙂

2. Tori October 14, 2015 / 5:49 pm

I just recently found your blog and this post really resonates with me, as I’m in a similar phase of life. A lot of the things you’ve written in this post are the exact thoughts I’ve been having the past few months. I, too, am in a place of some uncertainty, yet I’m excited to find out what the future holds.
    Best wishes on your journey!

• Amelia October 14, 2015 / 5:54 pm

Hi Tori! Thanks so much for reading. I’m so glad that my words resonates with you. I feel like we’re trained to have all the answers and have our lives figured out from a young age and, because of this, it’s a struggle sometimes to overcome the NOT knowing and not only embracing, but celebrating the unknowns. It’s so encouraging to know I’m not the only one going through this!
      Best of luck on your journey as well! 🙂

3. brittabottle October 17, 2015 / 5:03 am

Good luck, Amelia. Whatever you do, I’m pretty sure it’ll be awesome. Good luck with your job! That’s so exciting !

• Amelia October 17, 2015 / 10:34 am