Weekend Coffee Share: It’s Not All Rainbows and Sunshine

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that it hasn’t been the best of weeks.  Nothing horrible has happened… things could definitely be worse.  But they certainly could be better.

If we were having coffee, you would know that two out of the past five days have been rainy.  I love, love, love rainy days… there are few better things than curling up in a lumpy sweater and reading a good book.  When you work on a farm, though, rain gets in the way.  We were sent home early twice this week because it was simply too wet to do any of the field work that badly needs to get done. Although the extra free time gave me the chance to catch up on much needed around-the-house tasks, I need the pay.

Still, while cooking dinner last night, the sun came out and there was a beautiful rainbow over the orchard.  I was able to get a really beautiful picture:

If we were having coffee, you’d hear about the weird tension in my house this week.  Both my parents have had rough times with their jobs.  My dad–an apple farmer and also my employer–was discouraged by the rain days and feels behind.  Our crop also got hit hard by frost, which is demoralizing.  My mom works in politics as a professional lobbyist and legislative session did not end well in Minnesota this year.  She represents several small communities around the state and works to get money for projects like bike trails that will help boost tourism.  After a week of spending every waking hour at the capitol, she watched two years of work fall apart simply because politicians were too focused on playing power games than actually doing their job.  Which is also demoralizing.

Because of this, things have been tense around home.  With Dad grumbling about the orchard and Mom being snappy in the wake of the train wreck of legislative session, my younger brother and I have been tiptoeing around the house.  He had the dumb idea to pull a simple prank on Mom the other night, which backfired and resulted in the two of us spending a couple of hours deep cleaning bathrooms.  (How I got roped into his punishment, I’m not really sure.)

If we were having coffee, I would let you know that I’m really excited for my three-day weekend.  Because of Memorial Day on Monday, I don’t have work.  In addition, my older brother is home for the weekend, which should diffuse the tension around here.  We have all kinds of fun family plans!  We’re going to see the new X-Men film this afternoon and have a day trip up north planned for tomorrow.  After four months abroad, I’m loving spending time with my parents and siblings.

If we were having coffee, this is the point where I’d turn things over to you.  How has your week been?  What have you been up to?  I look forward to hearing about it in the comments!

6 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share: It’s Not All Rainbows and Sunshine

1. brittabottle May 28, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Sorry it hasn’t been the best of weeks, Amelia. You’re right, though…it isn’t always sunshine and rainbows (though you did happen to capture a fabulous one in that picture!). I had a rough day yesterday, though I did end up picking myself up midway through the day. I have a habit of over analyzing everything and got to thinking about the actions of some people in my life a little bit too much and it ruined half my day. That said, plans are moving forward move, so things are looking up!
    I hope you have a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend. Hopefully the tensions in your house will dissipate with the fun plans you have this weekend! There are a lot of perks of living at home–but escaping family tensions certainly isn’t one of them and can definitely be aggravating at times.

• Amelia May 28, 2016 / 6:41 pm

I’m sorry to hear you had a rough day! I definitely know how it feels to overanalyze things to the point of becoming miserable… I usually just shove my emotions into a corner to avoid that (which really isn’t very healthy either). I’m glad that things are looking up!

2. indyoutdoors May 28, 2016 / 1:14 pm

If we were having coffee, I would tell you my name is Jason. I began a blog just for therapy. Well, that isn’t quite true, I received some horrific news from a doctor’s visit and wanted my children to have something to always remember me by. I wanted them to be able to read my words and see pictures of times I have shared with them that were memorable.
    I have to work this weekend. I work as a corrections officer, most people don’t understand what I do or why I do it. I will say we are all one choice away from living in a state penitentiary, but we can be changed.
    I have two different series on my blog I am working on. One is called Music Man: A Memoir it serves to assure my kids that I chose them and the life of a father and husband over the pursuit of selfish ambition.
    The other one called A Journey Into Darkness is a reflection for me to come to terms with my past and just how good I have it now.

• Amelia May 28, 2016 / 6:47 pm

Hi Jason! It sounds like your job is very challenging, but it also sounds like you have a very good attitude about it. I love your inspiration for blogging–that you are pouring yourself into words to give your kids something to remember you by. I think that will be very meaningful for them. Best of luck!

3. Deborah Weber May 28, 2016 / 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your challenging week. Sometimes it’s just so hard not to get discouraged, but I hope that passes for your family soon. How lovely you’ve got fun weekend plans – enjoy! And speaking of enjoying – your rainbow photo is fabulous.

• Amelia May 28, 2016 / 6:48 pm

Thank you, Deborah! The weekend has been really nice so far–having my older brother here has really helped lighten the mood. I’m glad you liked the photo! 🙂