Job Hunting & Tough Choices

I’ve been absent from the blogosphere lately… mostly because life is moving forward faster than expected and, when I finally catch my breath, the last thing I want to do is process things by writing.

Over the past few weeks, I have learned a great deal about job hunting.  When I started this journey, all I wanted was employment.  “Dear magical job fairy,” I prayed, “just give me work!”  I now realize how naive and arrogant that appears.

Yes, scrolling through job forums is boring.  There are so many jobs that just don’t strike me as very interesting.  Sure, I could do well as an administrative assistant and would succeed doing marketing via social media.  But would my heart be in my work?  I’ve learned that I need to identify what I want in a job and be ready to fight for that.

Since the last time I blogged, I have had two interviews with the same company–a resort in Northern Minnesota–for a management position.  The first happened via Skype.  The second took place in person this week when I did a site visit.  I’ve asked the tough questions: What are the benefits worth monetarily?  Is there a timeline for promotion?  What does your on-site housing look like?  What is the culture like in your business and in your area?

Right now, I’m in the awkward waiting-to-hear-back phase to see if they want to hire me… which is a tense place to be.

One thing I’m learning, though, is that not every job is a good fit for every person.  Just because I’m offered a job does not mean I should take it.  There are other questions to be asked: Is this job in line with where I want to go long-term?  Would I be happy here?  Do I want to live five hours from my family?  Does it pay enough to save up for graduate school?

I’m not sure if I will take the job if it’s offered to me.  In my heart of hearts, I’m not convinced it is the best choice.  It’s a gamble, though.  What if I say no and then don’t get another offer for months?

This past week, I found a library job that hits all the sweet spots on my checklist.  Just reading the description got me so excited that it kept me up at night.  It’s directly in the line of work I want to pursue, pays well, is relatively close to home, and would enable me to finally be independent.  I poured hours into my application and am praying for a call in the next couple of weeks.

The fact of the matter is, job hunting is really tricky.  As they say, beggars can’t be choosers.  But am I willing to accept just any job?  What if I say yes to the North Shore position only to be offered my dream entry-level position by this other organization?  What if I decline the North Shore job and never get a call about the library job?  Am I willing to be stuck at home pulling weeds and attempting to piece together a plan for an undetermined amount of time?

The thing is, though, even if I don’t take the North Shore job, I’ve learned so much.  I’ve learned what kind of questions one needs to ask.  I have a few interviews under my belt.  Best of all, though, I am able to identify what I really WANT in a position.  I know where I want to go, what that looks like, and feel prepared to fight for that.

Growing up is hard, but I finally have a clear picture of the future I want to have and am ready to fight for it.

If you’ve got any job hunting advice for me, feel free to leave it in the comments!

6 thoughts on “Job Hunting & Tough Choices

1. brittabottle July 11, 2016 / 12:41 pm

I hear ya, Amelia. I’m placing a huge gamble on a job I applied for at the Library of Congress, but what if I don’t hear back? I’m going through a temp.agency right now and the woman I’m working with is doing a great job of fitting my needs to only find temp jobs right now. But what if I’m missing out on some really great temp to hire positions because of this LOC application? I’m also in the process of applying for a place to rent in DC and I’m further worried–what if the landlord doesn’t think I have enough money to be a reliable renter? What if I don’t get my credit score information back in time to give to her? I’m staying with a Morris friend for the time being but her lease is up at the end of the month–what if I don’t have a place to live by the time I need to be out of here? Its all so up in the air right now and I’m feeling a lot of anxiety today. We’ll get there in time, I suppose. This sure is a stressful time of life, though. Best of luck with your continued job search.

• Amelia July 11, 2016 / 7:32 pm

Adulting is HARD. I don’t think I’m going to take the resort job, but they’ve spent so much time talking with me and they’re really nice people, it’s going to be very hard to turn them down–especially since I don’t have any immediate alternatives. But, then again, I don’t even have a car (my brother got rear ended a couple of months ago while driving mine and it got totaled) and can’t realistically take a job until I get one. When making big moves in life, there are so many different pieces that have to come into place, and sometimes they all have to align very quickly or you’re screwed.
      Have you networked with any of the UMM grads who work at the Library of Congress? I’m sure they’d be able to put in a good word for you. Best of luck with everything–seriously, I’m rooting for you. I hope the housing stuff goes well. It all sounds really stressful, but you’re not the only one going through this! We’re all struggling through this whole life thing together.

• brittabottle July 12, 2016 / 6:21 pm

Yes, I’ve reached out to a few of the Morris grads there. They all work in a different department than the one I’m applying to, so I don’t know how easily they’ll be able to put in a good word, though. I do hope my Morris degree on my resume helps out also!
        It’s all stressful, but I just keep telling myself that it will all work out in time. Not knowing is scary, yes, but it’s also part of the adventure.
        As for your job search–you gotta do what’s best for you, Amelia. It’s great that the people in the resort have been so nice and helpful, but if it doesn’t feel right for you, don’t take it. You still have orchard work to keep you busy for the time being, right? You’ll figure it out!

• Amelia July 12, 2016 / 10:23 pm

Yeah, I don’t think I’m going to take the resort job. They’ve been bending over backwards to try to get me, which makes me feel bad saying no, but I just don’t think it’ll be a good fit. It’s worth sticking around the orchard until something right comes along. I’m SO ready to move on, but not enough to rush into a position that wouldn’t be good for me.

2. Aimee July 12, 2016 / 4:14 am

Ugh, being unemployed sucks… but as you said, being employed can suck as well if the job you take ends up holding you back. Good luck with hearing back, and I hope you get the news you want! 🙂

• Amelia July 12, 2016 / 10:24 pm

Thanks! It’s pretty stressful, but I’m thankful for all that I’m learning in the process.