Weekend Coffee Share: Things Are About to Get Busy

If we were having coffee, I’d start out by saying that it’s good to be back!  I missed out on last week’s coffee share on account of being out of town.  How have things been since we last spoke?

It’s strange to think that summer is over.  As it always does, it went by so quickly!  I’m glad, though.  September is here and with it comes cool mornings and golden sunsets.  Sweater weather is right around the corner and I couldn’t be happier.

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that things at my new job are going well.  I’ve been in my library for two weeks now and feel like I have a grasp on the daily ins and outs of the place.  I am slowly getting to know the patrons, who have been mixed in their response to me.  Most of them are happy–they had been without a librarian for months.  Some, though, are wary and mistrustful when they hear that I’m commuting an hour to work each day.  “She won’t last,” their eyes tell me as I hand them their items.  Despite their lack of faith, I am determined to do the job well.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you that I purchased my first car this week!  I am now driving a black 2011 Subaru Outback.  It has all-wheel drive and heated seats, which will be perfect for my daily commute come winter.

I have been feeling very adult lately, which is odd after a year of figuring out what step to take next.  I have a well-paying job, employer-provided healthcare that doesn’t cost me a cent, and my own vehicle.  The only thing missing is my own apartment!  That will come in time, I suppose.

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that I visited the L’Abri in Rochester, MN last weekend.  One of my friends from English L’Abri is working there, so I spent a few nights with her.  It felt wonderful to get away for a couple of days and enjoy the environment of L’Abri–intellectual discussions, hymn singing, cooking from scratch, reading all afternoon, and visiting with interesting people from around the world.  My time at the English branch was the happiest time I’ve ever had and I’m thankful to still have access to that world.

If we were having coffee, I would also tell you that orchard season is here!  We opened this weekend.  All week long, my family has been hard at work getting the place spruced up for season.  It felt strange, living here and not being part of it.  I worked there full time last year and was in the thick of the action from the beginning till the end.  I am a bit sad to not be as actively involved, but will still be helping out around the edges and working Monday afternoon shifts.

Finally, if we were having coffee, I would tell you that September is going to be a busy, busy month.  My social life works in funny ways.  All summer, I hardly to anything social and, suddenly, my calendar is full.  I am really looking forward to a month of camping trips, concerts, and trips to the Renaissance Festival.  I’ll probably be exhausted by the end of it, but I suppose that I will then resume my hermit-like ways.

Time to turn things over to you–How has your week been?  Anything interesting or exciting happen?  Read any good books lately?  What would you share over coffee?

11 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share: Things Are About to Get Busy

1. Holly September 4, 2016 / 11:45 am

Subaru drivers, unite!

• Amelia September 6, 2016 / 8:57 am

They are great cars!! 🙂

2. Nancy September 4, 2016 / 1:27 pm

Sounds like stuff is happening there! What fun. Enjoy “adult-ing” and your new independence.

• Amelia September 6, 2016 / 8:57 am

Thanks, Nancy!! 🙂

3. amiewrites74 September 4, 2016 / 2:34 pm

My mom has a 17 year old Subaru that still runs like a champ. They are awesome cars. Glad to hear the new job is going well!

• Amelia September 6, 2016 / 8:58 am

Thanks, Amie! 🙂

4. bettylouise31 September 4, 2016 / 10:02 pm

Good luck with you library job. Enjoy those camping trips. Ha e pleasant week.

• Amelia September 6, 2016 / 8:58 am

Thank you, Betty! Have a great week as well.

5. mommyusage September 4, 2016 / 11:19 pm

Congrats on the job and your new car! Summer is coming to an end but fall is just as fun. Tonight we fired up the fire pit and roasted marshmallows. I also love sweater weather. Fall may be becoming my new favorite season. Only time will tell!

I enjoyed having coffee with you! Have a great week ahead and enjoy your busy September! Sounds like it will be fun! 🙂

• Amelia September 6, 2016 / 8:59 am

Thanks for the great comment! We had a bonfire the other night too–it’s a perfect way to say goodbye to summer and hello to fall. Hope you have a great week! 🙂

6. brittabottle September 6, 2016 / 9:42 am

I had an old friend visit for Labor Day and I have been very MIA from the blogosphere lately (mostly because, although I have a lot happening in my head, I don’t feel it is the right time/place to write down anything–even in my own private journal. I’ve been doing a lot of internal processing lately but it’s just not a personal writing time for me).

That said, a lot has happened in the past couple weeks and I’m hoping to get around to contributing to this next week’s coffee share.

Congrats on your big car purchase! I’m so glad to hear things seem to be going well with your new job, too.