Weekend Coffee Share: Fall Colors and Full Houses

If we were having coffee, I’d comment first on the weather.  It was a beautiful week!  Sunshine, morning fog, crisp Autumn air… it doesn’t get much better than this.  I live for this time of year.  Summer is too hot, winter too long, but fall?  The best.

Inspired by the weather, I was able to get outside for some early morning walks.  Inspired by the foliage, I pieced together this video.  I’m no professional when it comes to videography, but I sure do enjoy experimenting.  It’s amazing what you can do with an iPhone!

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that it was a challenging week at work.

On Thursday, we had training all day at library headquarters.  All the staff from all fourteen of our branches were there.  It was nice to meet everyone and put faces to names, but it was a bit of a nightmare for an introvert like me.  I only have one other staff member at my branch and she was in the other group, so I was on my own for the day.  All the other staff had been working there for years and seemed to know each other.  The training sessions themselves were fine, but lunch was super uncomfortable.

Then, on Friday, our circulation system was down.  It was a good thing we had just sat through an afternoon of customer service training, so I was able to meet the challenge with a smile.  But it was still frustrating.  I couldn’t look into patron’s accounts, couldn’t issue new cards or replace lost ones, couldn’t accept fines, couldn’t place holds… I was a sitting duck.  When book delivery came mid afternoon, I couldn’t process it.  When books were returned, I couldn’t get them checked back in.  All day, I was surrounded by work piling up that I couldn’t do.  It drove me crazy!  Thankfully, we have a stand-alone version of our circ software that I could use to check books out to people.

When I got to work on Saturday, everything was up and working again.  Thank goodness.

If we were having coffee, you’d know that my house was a full one this weekend.  Both brothers were home for fall break.  So while I was miserable at work on Friday, Joe and Sam were hiking in the sunshine at a local state park.  We’ve been eating family dinner, fighting over who gets to do laundry first, and acting like little kids.  Joe and I have watched TV together in the evenings, which has been fun. (Did anyone else see the PBS documentary on the making of Hamilton?  So good!)

It’s now time to turn things over to you!  How was your week?  What would you share over coffee?

BONUS: Some photos from my early morning walks:

9 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share: Fall Colors and Full Houses

1. bettylouise31 October 23, 2016 / 3:07 pm

Electronic s are great when they work, but a nightmare when they are down. Have a pleasant week.

2. trentpmcd October 23, 2016 / 6:47 pm

Cool video. Sorry about the glitches on Friday – doesn’t sound fun. And yeah, I get it about being an Introvert during those types of training sessions…

• Amelia October 24, 2016 / 12:02 pm

Thanks! And yes, having to socialize/network in large groups of people as an introvert is rough!

3. Nancy October 23, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Your photos and video are super amazing! I love how peaceful your home seems. Sorry work was stressful but you sure stepped up to the challenge. You go girl!

• Amelia October 24, 2016 / 12:03 pm

Thanks, Nancy! My home definitely is beautiful in the fall. I just wish I didn’t have to work so I could be outside enjoying it more! 🙂

4. amiewrites74 October 23, 2016 / 11:09 pm

Beautiful photos! I always feel so helpless when the computer systems go down. It is amazing how dependent on them we are.

• Amelia October 24, 2016 / 12:04 pm

It really is! They’re wonderful things, but it’s frustrating when you become so dependent on them that when they go down, everything stops.

5. Tori October 27, 2016 / 9:45 pm

I’m a little late commenting but I wanted to say great video! Love that you used a Josh Garrels song 🙂 Sounds like the work situation was tricky, but it seems like you handled it very well.

If we were having coffee, I’d share that on Saturday, I saw Switchfoot again and it was pretty rad. It was Jon’s birthday so the show was quite memorable. To top things off, I got to meet Jon again and give him a printout of the blog post I wrote a couple of months ago.

• Amelia November 1, 2016 / 8:52 pm

I’m so late to replying to this comment, so you’re in good company! 🙂 I’ve been listening to a lot of Josh Garrels lately, he’s really good. That’s so cool that you got to see Switchfoot again!! I’m jealous that you got to meet Jon again, but am also really excited for you. I remember really enjoying that post and hope he liked it too! 🙂