Weekend Coffee Share 12/4/16

If we were having coffee, we’d ACTUALLY be having coffee because I’m in a coffee shop right now!  I’m in my local roasterie  with sipping on a mocha listening to the owner tell people across the room about how he and my dad sometimes go out for drinks at a certain bar.  I made small talk with the barista about the orchestra concert she saw earlier this week.  I love small towns!  Now, I’m typing away at my laptop happily chatting with you.

15232179_1569204306430180_1200639994969844005_n.jpg
Here’s a shot of our yard this morning–stolen off my mom’s Facebook page.

We got a few inches of snow this morning!  My parents are heading to a fruit-growers conference in Michigan
for the week and I feel bad that they have to travel on icky roads.

It seems to be wedding season in my part of the world.  I’ve been at weddings for back-to-back weekends, which is partially why I’ve missed the last few coffee shares.

Last weekend, one of my cousins got married in the suburbs of Chicago.  We had all our extended family over for Thanksgiving and then carpooled out there on Black Friday.  I rode with my aunt.  We stopped in Madison, Wisconsin to go to an independent bookstore and had lunch at a Nepali restaurant.  Neither of us had ever eaten food from Nepal before and it was delicious!

The wedding ceremony itself was beautiful.  It took place in a church and the reception was at a fancy country club in a gated community.  I hadn’t seen anyone from that side of the family since last Christmas and it was wonderful catching up with everyone amid the busyness.

This weekend’s wedding was much closer to home and for one of the girls I grew up with in church.  It took place at a local day camp and fit the couple perfectly.  They’re outdoorsy types and fell in love while hiking, climbing, and canoeing across the state of Minnesota.  It made perfect sense to get married in a lodge with hardwood floors before a blazing fire.  I had a wonderful time catching up with childhood friends I’ve known since I was in diapers.  It’s such a joy to have those kind of friendships and I loved seeing everyone again.  Most of them are married now, some with kids, and it was really fun meeting their husbands and cooing over their babies.

On another note, I’m going to be launching my third annual holiday series on my blog in a few weeks.  It’s called Tis the Season and I’m looking for guest bloggers–if you’re interested in learning more and possibly contributing, check out the post in this link.

It’s now time to turn things over to you.  How has your week been?  What would you share over coffee?

12 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share 12/4/16

1. bettylouise31 December 4, 2016 / 1:35 pm

Our snow didn’t arrive. It warm up and we got rain. I suspect it was snow at the higher elevations. Have a pleasant week.

2. Pamela Morse December 4, 2016 / 2:39 pm

I have not tried the cuisine from Nepal. That sounds like a very good trip to the wedding. I grew up in a tiny town, but am now very used to the city life….not sure I could go back.

• Amelia December 5, 2016 / 6:32 pm

I definitely recommend Nepalese food! I had no idea what to expect, but it was delicious. Small town life is great, but not for everyone. I hope to move to a bigger city someday.

3. Tori December 4, 2016 / 7:04 pm

It sounds like you had a lovely time at the weddings. I’m not sure if we’ll see snow any time soon. It got unseasonably warm here for a few days last week. Now it’s cooler and there’s rain in the forecast, but still not cold enough for snow.
    If we were having coffee, I would share that I have a job interview later this month and that I’ve been sharpening my Photoshop/Illustrator skills and working on some new pieces for my Society6 shop.

• Amelia December 5, 2016 / 6:34 pm

Congratulations on getting the interview! What kind of job is it for? I hope it gets cold enough for snow soon! 🙂

• Tori December 6, 2016 / 1:02 pm

Thank you! It’s a customer service type job so it’s not quite in my field, but it’s at a great company in my desired city and if I get it, it could open lots of doors for growth in the company.

• Amelia December 10, 2016 / 12:27 pm

That’s awesome! I know plenty of people who go for customer service type jobs in companies in their desired field and move their way up. I hope the interview goes well! 🙂

4. Natalie December 5, 2016 / 10:12 am

Sounds like you’ve had a busy (but enjoyable) few weeks 🙂 It must be that time of year… lots of my friends are getting engaged/married/having babies at the moment! Hope you have a great week!

• Amelia December 5, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Thanks! Have a great week as well! 🙂

5. amiewrites74 December 5, 2016 / 12:24 pm

The two weddings sound very different but both sound lovely. I am glad that you were able to catch up with both friends and family.

• Amelia December 5, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Thanks, Amie!

6. Corina December 8, 2016 / 4:30 pm

We are having our snow storm right now, as I type. Not too much snow but it hasn’t stopped yet. It is expected to stop soon and turn to freezing rain with a lot of ice. We shall see!