Weekend Coffee Share: 1/14/17

If we were having coffee, I wouldn’t be that chatty at first.  Even though it’s 10 AM as I write this, I’m still in my early-morning haze.  Since it’s January, it’s been terribly cold and snowy in Minnesota, which is perfect sleeping weather.  I hate being parted from my warm blankets… even if it means getting coffee with you.

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve joined in the coffee share.  I’ve missed you all!

Life has been pretty slow over the past few weeks.  Aside from work, I haven’t had many places to go or things to do.  The holidays were so busy that I’ve been thankful for the lull.

At work, I’ve been making an effort to plan ahead.  Learning to be a librarian involves so much more than checking books in and out.  One of my goals is to start reaching out and creating community partnerships–starting with making a list of organizations and businesses to promote events at.  In addition, I’m working on being more organized and planning ahead.  The holidays snuck up on me and, aside from a few decorations, I really didn’t do anything special for my patrons.  I don’t want that to happen again!  I’ve already outlined activities and displays for next month and hope to continue the trend.

This weekend, I’m going to the cities to hang out with a friend from college.  We’re going to see La La Land (which I’ve already seen, but adored so much that I need a second round) and get dinner afterwards.  We’ve been tossing around going on a trip together this spring and will hopefully start making plans.

The rest of my weekend is likely to be spent indoors enjoying all the DVDs and graphic novels I’ve checked out from the library.  I also hope to do some writing for my blog.  I’ve got an idea for a new series that I hope to get going.  Stay tuned for more information on that in the future.

How has your week been?  Anything interesting going on in your life?  What would you share over coffee?

8 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share: 1/14/17

1. amiewrites74 January 14, 2017 / 11:51 am

I’m glad you are enjoying some down time after the busy holidays. Enjoy your time with friends this weekend:)

2. brittabottle January 14, 2017 / 8:21 pm

SO many interesting things have been going on in my life, but that will take an actually blog post or two one of these days to explain it all. On another note, I’m slightly terrified to be in Washington next weekend because the whole world is going to descend upon it for ignaugration/the Women’s March and it’s going to be INSANE. I work at my coffee shop job (right near The White House) on the day of the Women’s March and though it’s going to be an incredibly overwhelming day at work and for navigating Downtown, I also feel really lucky to be here to experience what will surely be an event for the history books.

I’m also hoping to see LaLa Land with one of my housemates tomorrow…because I haven’t heard a bad thing about it yet.

I think it’s so cool that your a librarian, Amelia, and I love hearing about your plans for your library. In a world where electronic media has been threatening print media for some time now, it’s inspiring to see the passion you have for keeping your library alive in your community. I love it.

• Amelia January 16, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Oh my goodness, I can only imagine what it’s like to be living in D.C. at this point in history. There is so much going on over the next week and so much history being made. Things are going to be SO crazy–especially on Saturday. I heard that more people are expected to come for the Women’s March than the Inauguration.
      I’m really looking forward to more blog posts from you, Britta. I can’t wait to hear about the interesting things going on with you and hearing about how the next week goes. Did you see La La Land? What did you think?
      Being a librarian is so wonderful. I frequently get asked if I think libraries will go away, and I don’t think so. They’re more important now than ever! Because my library’s community is a rural one, a lot of people don’t have access to media and technology–we fill that gap. I’ve got so many dreams for that little space and, although things will take a lot of time, am excited to build something that will bring people together.

• brittabottle January 18, 2017 / 10:36 am

I am looking forward to writing more, Amelia! I have a lot to share. I’ve been so focused lately on figuring myself and my life out and that’s been so good, but it’s also taken my focus away from writing. I’ve accepted that that’s okay–as a writer, I always feel like I need to be writing, but I’ve also grown to understand the value of taking some time away from it. I do miss it, though!
        La La Land was excellent. I loved the whimsical, Old Hollywood feel to it–and while I’ve read that some people have mixed feelings about the ending, I though it was progressive and realistic for the twenty-first century.
        I don’t think libraries will go away, either–they really are great community centers. The libraries in DC have tons of community events and definitely provide media and technology to the lower income sectors of the city, too. Looking forward to seeing how you will turn those dreams into reality. 🙂
        Bracing myself for this weekend. It will be amazing and historic to witness, but as a DC resident, I also can’t wait for it to be over. Navigating this city is going to be a nightmare. I’m sure I’ll come away from Saturday with some stories to tell, though.

3. bettylouise31 January 14, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Libraries are so important in life. I know you will enjoy helping your community in all phases of the library. Enjoy you trip to the Cities with your friends. Think Positive!

• Amelia January 16, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Thanks, Betty! I hope you had a great weekend! 🙂

4. Tara January 15, 2017 / 4:25 pm

I love my library and am so happy for the librarians there! I’ll have to see La La Land, too. Sounds like a great movie.

Happy week!

• Amelia January 16, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Libraries are wonderful places! I’m so thankful I get to work in one. La La Land is sooooo wonderful–I hope you have a chance to see it! Have a great week!