Weekend Coffee Share 1/28/17

If we were having coffee, we’d be meeting in an actual coffee shop for once.  Between meeting friends and getting out of the house to write, I’ve been spending a lot of time in coffee shops.  I’d be sipping a mocha–what would you be having?

Things in Amelia-land have been going well.  Over the past month, I’ve been reconnecting with friends that I haven’t seen in a long time, which has been wonderful.

I submitted my application for graduate school a couple of weeks ago!  Tracking down transcripts was a huge headache and I’m thankful to be done.  I’m not sure when I find out if I get accepted, but am just happy to have it off my mind for now.

Although things have been going pretty well personally, it has been a very hard week.  I don’t want to get overly political, but I’m really struggling with the new presidency and all the changes that are happening.  The Women’s March last weekend was so encouraging.  I didn’t get to go because of work, but I reveled in the photos and news coverage.  Since then, however, it seems like there has been an endless stream of executive orders that make my heart heavy.  I’ve been tempted to delete Facebook on my phone because, some days, going on there makes me feel icky and angry.

I want to be part of the resistance, to stand up for refugees and women and minority groups that are marginalized by the new administration, but where should I begin?  Right now, I am taking small steps–doing my best to show respect and kindness to all who cross my path.  As a librarian, I can to fight “alternative facts”at work and home by promoting reliable information and fostering a welcoming environment that brings people together.  It may not feel like much, but every bit counts.

How has your week been?  What would you share over coffee?

6 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share 1/28/17

1. bettylouise31 January 29, 2017 / 7:10 am

I am had to tuzn out the political scece yesterday but I was shocked when I finally watch the news. Like you I would like to do more, but not sure what I can do. I am praying for the world 🌎 especially those effected

2. amiewrites74 January 29, 2017 / 9:49 am

Frustration and a heavy heart here also. I am always trying to find ways to act locally as well. Good luck with your grad school application!

• Amelia January 29, 2017 / 10:36 am

Thanks, Amie! I hope you’re able to find ways to engage in your community as well. 🙂

3. underthegreenroof January 30, 2017 / 7:48 am

Also thinking about deleting facebook off my phone! I’m finding myself becoming weighed down with anger and sadness after I scroll through the newsfeed that then transfers to my life outside of social media.

• Amelia January 30, 2017 / 1:34 pm

It’s crazy how hostile social media has become over the past few months. No matter what political view is being represented, I still get frustrated.

4. Britta February 4, 2017 / 5:43 pm

I check Facebook about once a week now and have started doing the same with Instagram. My emotional equilibrium gets so off balance when I read about so much negativity. My desire to stay informed and aware is constantly in battle with my need to stay emotionally stable. I usuallly read the news once a day and that’s it.

You are right that you have a lot of power in your hands to spread good as a librarian, Amelia. I wish you the best as you work to spread accurate, meaninfgul information, as well as kindess and good thoughts in your library community.