It’s always an honor when a fellow blogger nominates you and features your blog. The thing is… I’m terrible with awards. On the one hand, I think they’re fabulous and are a wonderful way to connect the WordPress community. On the other, they feel a bit like chain mail.
Recently, I’ve been nominated for a number of awards. So, instead of putting them off, I thought I’d respond to them in one big post. The thing is, though, I’m not going to pass the awards on. I know that it defeats the purpose, but the part of me that resists anything that feels like chain mail is simply too strong. (I mean, I even avoided doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge last spring, despite numerous nominations.)
A few months ago, Britta of It’s a Britta Bottle! nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. Part of the award involves sharing seven facts about yourself. Here goes:
1. I believe in the Loch Ness Monster.
2. During my junior year of high school, I held a lead role in a production of Disney’s High School Musical. (In case you were wondering, I played Taylor McKessie. Second to the left.)
3. I have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban over fifteen times. (Yes, I kept track and have since lost count.)
4. This past summer, I was in charge of the children’s programming for an international Ethiopian Church Conference in Minneapolis.
5. I have seen The Phantom of the Opera on the Broadway and West End stages, as well as a traveling production.
6. In high school, I wrote a novel length Harry Potter fan fic.
7. I spent my 21st birthday in Oxford and had my first drink at the Eagle in Child pub, where my literary heroes J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and friends (also known as the Inklings) used to have their weekly writing group.
Yesterday, Akanksha of The World Past Me nominated me for the Liebster Award. Part of this award includes answering a number of given questions. Here are my answers toAkanksha’s fantastic questions:
1. What do you want from life?
I want a simple life doing something meaningful. I want to work in full-time ministry serving and building the Kingdom of God. I want to travel the world. Someday, I want to settle down with a husband that I love and raise a family.
2. What’s your secret fantasy?
To eat all the Nutella in the world and not gain weight.
3. What is your favorite color and why?
Green. Because it’s pretty.
4. If you could change into an animal anytime, what would it be and why?
I would become a beluga whale because every time I see one in real life, I become so full of joy that I nearly start hyperventilating. (Yes, I’m a weirdo.) I want my presence to bring joy to the lives of others. Also, beluga whales are adorable.
5. Do you believe in love at first sight? Why/why not?
There are lots of kinds of love out there, each very complex and distinct. In a romantic sense, however, I do not believe in love at first sight. I think you can see someone and be incredibly attracted to them. But the kind of love that lifelong marriages are built upon takes time and commitment to foster. It can’t be captured in an instant.
6. What do you believe is humans’ greatest strength?
I think that one of our biggest strengths is our ability to create. There’s something about art, literature, and music that transcends words. Crafting beauty that moves and inspires is something that only we human beings are able to do. It’s absolutely incredible.
7. What’s the first thing that comes to your mind every morning when you wake up?
Usually, I think about Jesus. He’s my best friend. (I also do my daily devotions first thing, so He is naturally the first thing on my mind.)
8. A trip with your best friend or a brunch with good friends?
This is a tough one. I’m going to go with brunch with good friends. Why? As much as I love travel and as much as I love my best friend, we’d kill each other if we were in each other’s company for too long.
9. What’s your favorite book?
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. The first time I read it unabridged, I didn’t know what to do with myself for a week. I felt like I had lost a very dear friend. Hugo has crafted a novel that captures the essence of the human existence. It never fails to move me.
10. If you could date one celebrity, who would it be and why?
Andrew Garfield. Because LOOK AT THIS MAN. (Although, in real life, I don’t think I’d ever want to date a celebrity. Too much publicity.)
So… that concludes my awards acceptance post! Thanks so much Britta and Akanksha for the nominations!
P.S. I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award in the past, so do check out my previous answers!